Monday, December 8, 2008

More Meows & Meanderings

FOSTERING a rescue animal is a life-saving task, and one that appeals on many levels. If people are unsure as to whether they are ready, financially or physically able to adopt a pet, then fostering can be a great solution. It's kind of like having your grandchildren over, knowing they're going home eventually!

The real issue here, of course, is that the home must be as pet-proof as if you were adopting. Tightly-fitted screens, no dangerous objects underfoot or where an animal can get at them, a commitment to good quality food and litter. The ability to clean litter boxes regularly (or walk a dog, obviously, but I'll concern myself here mainly with indoor cats). Careful when opening/closing outside doors, non-smoking homes, no oil paint or toxic chemicals in the home (artists: beware!), a good vet on file and a strong carry-case at hand, a quiet, calm home environment. In our organization's case, at least a commitment to holistic care, from vets to food quality.

For some foster situations, food & litter are provided by the animal rescue organization. In other cases, the foster family takes on that responsibility.
Usually, it's best to stipulate the conditions before taking on the challenge of a new pet. Are there other pets in residence? Children? Are people home during the day or is the animal all alone for much of its day/evening? Have the fosters done this before or do they need to be walked through the process? How long is the fostering for? Again, it's best to spell this out. Does their building allow pets?!

What I try to do is be honest: we will try to find a permanent home for Fluffy and hope to do so by.....If the foster says, no worries, take your time, that's great. Often, however, they have time constraints so we have to hustle. Sometimes it takes more than one foster home until the pet has the right loving, caring forever home.

I welcome comments, questions and discussion on this very important aspect of cat adoption. Please write in with your points of view, stories, concerns. Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered what Fostering meant. Thank you for the concise and informative article.

Therezia said...

I began fostering cats about 2 years ago. At first, it was mainly in hopes of providing some companionship for my only cat, Skana. I felt he needed a pal to expend some of his energy with, and since I was in no position to take in another, permanent, pet, fostering proved a great alternative.
I can't tell you how many wonderful experiences I've had with the foster cats who have come into my life over the last couple years. Each one has had his or her own unique character and specialness that touched me enormously. Finding loving homes for them was always incredibly satisfying, and there is one in particular whose new 'mom' sends me pics and stories regularly.

Anonymous said...

more photos!!!

Donna Davidge said...

I have been fostering beautiful Annie for the last ten days or so, she came along when i was grieving heavily the loss of dear almost 18 year old Westy. I am so glad I was on gregg's list so Annie was saved and I was saved too! It was so gratifying to see her heal from the respiratory infection, to need my love and to finally get her eating and then a few days ago bouncing around with toys! She sleeps with me and is just so kind a cat. I am happy she has found a home but will be sorry to see her go. I have two cats in Maine, where my husband is living at our other home, so taking in another would have been alot, this was perfect though I will miss my new friend Annie but think of her in her loving home. I highly recommend fostering but then again I got super lucky!!

Gayze said...

Very nice article on fostering, Gregg. It sounds like you're building a faithful network of foster homes, and I hope the blog helps you to increase your resources. The more hearts to help the kitties, the better.

Anonymous said...

I have fostered cats for years. Each cat or kitten returned my care and love with genuine "feline thank yous". These included a warm, cozy friend to share TV time, purrs which touched my musical soul and lots of joyous times playing with a cat dancer toy. If you love cats, I encourage you to foster a cat and save a life. It may just change your life!

Jacqueline Dougherty