Tuesday, February 24, 2009

History - All Sentient Beings

Blair Sorrell, a long-time member of our Advisory Board and a highly-regarded animal activist here in NYC, has compiled some facts on the history of our non-profit organisation, All Sentient Beings,Inc.
Here is my account, as told by Blair, for your edification and amusement.











My organization, All Sentient Beings, evolved from my quarter of a century of rescue experience. My love for felines and their caretakers is inseparable from this chronology of spontaneous, hands-on Hell's Kitchen placements. Over time, I have almost single handedly arranged for the vetting, fostering, outreach, and delivery of stray or abandoned neighborhood cats and kittens to responsible homes.

Occasionally these lost souls gravitated to me as one summer a contingent of gray cats migrated to my backyard, a distinctive parade silhouetting the trees and cityscape of my former industrial backdrop. I didn't despair. I did what I always do, calmly and methodically, I got to work. And what was as gratifying as finding good people was the rapport I developed with my loving adopters. They wrote notes then -and now they email and forward their "baby" pictures. Even greater proof of their obvious adoration is how they speak of their kitties when we congregate at my annual adopters' party. Because a little known fact is that when you rescue a cat, you are often really assuaging the guardian's sense of solitude, boredom, stress, or even self-absorption. Adoptions are mutually beneficial and I'm always happy to be the interloper in what have proved to be some of life's most blissful matches.


Now functioning as a non-profit, tax-exempt charity, ASB has as its two-pronged mission the tasks of: a) continuing to participate in the myriad, ongoing rescue and adoption work of all of the similarly-involved local groups as well as: b) raising awareness for Humans to be better, more responsible, committed and informed animal care-givers. This includes information on holistic vet care, quality food and inclusion of Pet Trusts in people's Advance Directives.

We hope that by sharing our background and hopes for the future with you, our public, we can continue our outreach work as an information clearinghouse. Do share our story about our work with as many people as you can and do consider fostering an animal to help save a life.

Many thanks!

1 comment:

NaNa!NaNa! said...

great site!! ive added you to my favorites list. I LOVE the FREE KIBBLE site and will click there every day! i also added that link to my blog http://mybajadogs.blogspot.com
thanks!