Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Newest Problem we are facing

I'd be interested in hearing from you, our readers, to know what you suggest we do to try to counteract all the "dumping" and surrendering of "beloved" animals due to financial hardship. We know that conceptually, everyone would agree that they wouldn't give up their kids (I'm assuming) nor would they knowingly take on a pet thinking they'd ever have to make that choice. But it is happening everywhere now, and the Euth. List on Death Row is growing: perfectly healthy and (until now) happy animals are facing this horrible killing.

We are trying so hard to explain to people what sort of commitment they are making when they take an animal from us, and - again, in principle- everyone agrees of course. It is logical and seems perfectly normal. And then....if we're lucky, they at least contact us to re-adopt their pet, so that we are on top of the situation, however tragic it may be. But often they do not contact us and we find out later that the animal has been let go into the street or sent to a Kill shelter.

Let's try to use these columns as a vehicle for communicating and networking, so maybe we can come up with some viable alternatives to the path of least resistance that seems to be today's general solution to this terrible problem.

1 comment:

Billie said...

Honestly, when I first heard about the problem with the economy I thought to myself, “great, even more animals out on the street!” This fear resonated during a recent vet visit, when I noticed the change in the waiting room. A room once filled with dogs barking, cat‘s meowing, and basically…life…was instead nearly lifeless and so silent one could quite possibly hear the clichéd echo from a pin being dropped. The worst came when I inquired of the receptionist as to “what was going on?” She looked at me sadly and said “it’s the economy.” So, regretfully, I am not surprised to learn of this growing problem. While tossing around solutions, it occurred to me that it might first be helpful to quickly point out what can be done as far as preventing the origin of future homeless animals.

In my humble opinion, reducing the number of unwanted animals in the first place may be a good way to prevent one aspect of future homelessness. In other words, spay or neuter these poor animals. This plea is not just for one’s pet, but it is for the strays and ferals also. I find that many are still unaware of how painless it can be to do such a small thing yet help in such a big way. I discovered in my last rescue endeavor that through the ASPCA, one can get an animal spayed or neutered with rabies vaccine included for approximately $25. or free for low income earners. One does not even have to go far, as their mobile clinic visits most neighborhoods. Personally feeling responsible for every homeless cat I’ve ever encountered in my South Bronx neighborhood, it is the difference between me finding a home for 1 hungry cat and finding a home for 1 hungry cat and her 2-5 kittens or more. Personally, it is certainly more feasible and economical to help the former.

As far as solutions for teaching responsibility, accountability, and love, I’m not sure I alone can tackle a feat as great as this. In the meantime, I will continue to concentrate on ways to rectify the problem already at hand. I hope that many will do the same.